Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Checking in with Kenny Krona

Like nearly all of the performers in this year's A Salute to the Music of Bob Dylan, guitarist Kenny Krona awakened to his passion at an early age. Whatever else was going on in his life, music remained a central feature.

EN: When did you first take an interest in making music? How did you get into performing?

Kenny Krona: I started playing guitar when I was six years old. At the age of 9 my parents would take me around to various places and I would set in with different folks. Mostly country artists at the time. I started my first band when I was 13, mostly doing Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, etc. Then along came the Beatles and Bob Dylan and everybody’s world changed!

EN: Do you have a favorite Dylan album?

KK: My favorite Dylan album is Highway 61 Revisited. Although either one of his Greatest Hits albums still rank high on my list!

EN: What is it that made Dylan such an important songwriter in our time?

KK: Dylan was, and still is, not afraid to write about his feelings---be it political or personal. His songs reflect real life experiences and stories that we all can relate to in some way. He has influenced all of us with his different styles from folk, rock, blues, country and just about everything in between.

EN: Do you currently have a regular band you play with?

KK: Right now I do a lot of solo and duo acoustic work-----covering folk, blues and rock. Some electric shows on the horizon for the summer though.

EN: How did you become part of A Salute to the Music of Bob Dylan?

KK: I am good friends with Kevin Odegard. He invited me to join up with A Salute to the Music Of Bob Dylan about 4 years ago. It's been a great time---meeting up with such wonderful artists and to celebrate the music of Minnesota's own Bob Dylan. Looking forward to being part of the show coming to Duluth on May 17th!


EdNote: This blog entry and others like it have the aim of raising awareness for the upcoming Salute to the Music of Bob Dylan concert which will kick off the 2014 North Country Dylan Celebration in Duluth and Hibbing. Sacred Heart Music Center, May 17, 2014. For tickets to this great event visit dulutharmory.org/events.

If you wish to help, visit the Salute Facebook page and share with your friends by clicking the Invite button. 

A Salute to the Music of Bob Dylan is a presentation of the Armory Arts and Music Center and Magic Marc Productions.

No comments:

Popular Posts