Friday, May 1, 2009

Standing on a Corner in Winslow, Arizona

Now the bricks lay on Grand Street
Where the neon madmen climb
They all fall there so perfectly
It all seems so well timed
And here I sit so patiently
Waiting to find out what price
You have to pay to get out of
Going through all these things twice
Oh, Mama, is this really the end
To be stuck inside of Mobile
With the Memphis blues again.
~ Dylan

While in Puerto Rico, 1979, I met a fellow named Mike who knew more Dylan than even I did. Not that there aren't plenty of folks who do, but not very many whom I meet. He was staying at a Salvation Army halfway house about a half mile from where I lived in suburban San Juan.

I had gone to the S.A. place to see someone else and was waiting in the billiard room downstairs when this large man wearing dark shades entered and began reciting The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe. This is a poem of rather great length, and when he began it, "Once upon a midnight dreary, while I wandered, etc." I expected him to somehow interrupt himself to say hello. I did not expect him to recite the entire poem of several pages right up to the last few lines, at which point Mike broke off and laughed, saying, "You didn't know I was going to recite the whole thing, did you."

Being into poetry and the interplay of words, he was a lover of Dylan's work. One night as we talked he mentioned how when he was in Mobile, Alabama he had that zeitgeist experience of being suddenly aware that the lines from Dylan's "Stuck Inside of Mobile" were written while Dylan was himself in Mobile, standing on Grand Street. Mike shared how he was noticing the way the bricks were laid, and these lyrics above came to mind.

Dylan was observing reality. He wrote about his observations, thoughts and feelings in response to real places and faces, a very direct encounter with this place in particular.

Mike shared how this was the second time he'd had this experience with Dylan, the first being this description from Mr. Tambourine Man.

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus signs
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

For Mike, it was a scene in San Francisco, out on the windy beach as he came back up toward the park... there they were, the circus signs. The hippie scene and the Haight and the Bohemian circus of that West Coast jungle of humanity...

Well, last month I had one of those moments because we were "standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona."

Well, I'm a standing on a corner
in Winslow, Arizona
and such a fine sight to see
It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford
slowin' down to take a look at me...

I experienced the corner, not the girl in the flatbed Ford. Susie and I were heading toward the Grand Canyon, and sure enough we had to go to the corner. It's on a bypassed part of old Route 66, and now it is something of a monument, an example of life imitatin' art, I guess.

There are a lot of songs about general places, like On the Banks of the Ohio, but which bank was he referring to when he wrote those lines? I like these lines which have locations very specific, like the reference to a balcony overlooking Washington Square in Joan Baez's Diamonds and Rust.

What descriptions from popular songs have you experienced? Ever been somewhere and suddenly realized that this place was something someone else had seen, experienced and put into verse?

"Meantime, life goes on all around you." ~ Bob Dylan

2 comments:

LEWagner said...

>>>>>>>>>>Ever been somewhere and suddenly realized that this place was something someone else had seen, experienced and put into verse?

As a matter of fact, I have, by gum!
Here's part of the lyrics to a song both Hank Snow and Johnny Cash made famous. I've experienced just about every mile AND bump in the road of it, myself:

"I've Been Everywhere" ;>)

"I was totin' my pack along the long dusty Winnemucca road,
When along came a semi with a high an' canvas-covered load.
"If you're goin' to Winnemucca, Mack, with me you can ride."
And so I climbed into the cab and then I settled down inside.
He asked me if I'd seen a road with so much dust and sand.
And I said, "Listen, Bud, I've traveled every road in this here land!"

[Chorus:]
I've been everywhere, man.
I've been everywhere, man.
Crossed the deserts bare, man.
I've breathed the mountain air, man.
Of travel I've had my share, man.
I've been everywhere.

I've been to:
Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota,
Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota,
Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma,
Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma,
Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo,
Tocapillo, Baranquilla, and Perdilla, I'm a killer.
Chorus..............."

If you Google it, there are some good youtube links.
It's one of my favorite songs. I sometimes torture my ESL students by playing it in class, three times, and three times only. I tell them that the monthly test is to hand in an accurate translation of the lyrics. (Just kidding. I don't torture.)
I think I'm gonna blast that song out into the neighborhood, top volume, right now, in fact. I can legally do that in Laos.
Yeee HAW!!

Ed Newman said...

Sound's like you're a havin' fun here.

This song reminds me of another Johnny Cash song, Wanted Man, which he wrote with Dylan I believe.

Popular Posts