Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Storypeople

While in San Francisco last year with my family, we spent a little time going into various shops and stores in various sections of the city. There is a lot of art and creativity in this crazy town, as you can imagine.

In one store we came across some line drawings that had pithy or thought provoking sayings, whose simplicity enabled one to connect, but with a reflective depth that made an impact. We all liked the cards very much, and the book... and the art.

Well, I discovered that they also have a website, and a daily email with a drawing a very short story each day. This one here is one of the longer ones, but it gets to the heart of what Storypeople is all about. I hope you will check out their site... maybe even subscribe to their daily uplift like I do. It will encourage you to maybe find a creative way to make your own daily input to make this world a better, more thoughtful place.

This one in particular reminded me of a couple of my own haiku which, like Storypeople, is an "idea" boiled down to its essence... simple yet containing more than the sum of its parts. Enjoy the haiku and then take in Storypeople.

White paper, black ink.
Words form sentences that make
no sense. Mysteries.

White paper, black ink.
Words define truth and obscure it.
Sublime engima.


Often, I write all day long with white ink on white paper, late into the night, until it is all I can do to feel the letters curving to earth from the tip of the pen & then, I fall asleep. Dreaming of running, or maybe driving in a car the color of water & I wake the next day remembering nothing & I gather the stack of paper & a pen of black on the desk in front of me & the words begin to dance over the page like long legged insects across a still lake & the words in white whisper behind & underneath the new day. If there is any secret to this life I live, this is it: the sound of what cannot be seen sings within everything that can. & there is nothing more to it than that.


Visit STORYPEOPLE here

No comments:

Popular Posts