Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Adjustments

While home with my family over Christmas a few years ago we went bowling one day. It proved to be an interesting experience at the lanes. My brother bowled the best game I've ever seen him bowl (220's) and I surprised myself by barely getting over a one hundred in my first ten frames. I wondered if anyone would believe I bowled in the 180's my last time out. Fortunately, I found my mark and got the swing of things with a 191 and a 183 in the second and third games.

During the second game my brother -- who happens to be a psychologist -- had turned and, smiling, said, "Adjustments," as he lifted the ball up to his chest. He layed it down smooth and bowled another strike. I agreed with him, that it was a matter of making adjustments, finding your mark, laying the ball on the spot on the lane, observing the results and adjusting accordingly.

In the third game, he again smiled and made the same remark. I realized then that he was not speaking of bowling, but offering a piece of wisdom, as if to say, "This is what life is, the making of adjustments." He only spoke the one word, but I heard with clarity his admonition. When life isn't working, we need to evaluate and adjust accordingly.

From time to time most of us bring our cars to a mechanic to have adjustments made so they will run better. A tune-up or "carburetor adjustment" helps the engine to run the way it was intended. In the same way, our lives need periodic tune-ups or adjustments, to help us accomplish the purposes for which we were created.

The word adjustment is an interesting one. It means "to bring into agreement." On many levels we need to apply this word to the various compartments of our lives, whether relationships, careers, parenting or our quests for personal meaning.

Ultimately, growth is a process, the process of making adjustments.

For more insights on living and excerpts from my book Nightfall: A Time to Reflect at the End of the Day, visit my website at http://www.enewman.biz/reflect.html

No comments:

Popular Posts