Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Helping the Hungry

"The best sauce in the world is hunger. That is why the poor always enjoy eating." ~ Cervantes

As I read Don Quixote I am continually amazed by how many ideas and witticisms have been put into the public vernacular by this 400 year old yarn. For example, at the beginning of Book Two in this classic, they are debating the merits of the second book being written about Don Quixote, "for you know, the sequel is never as good as the original." It cracked me up. This is a statement we have been making about movies for years. But who among you, reading this, would have believed that this is a statement people have been making for centuries?

The quote I referenced about hunger is similar. Usually we make the first half of the above statement. The latter has a grimmer aspect. In point of fact, being poor and hungry is not fun at all.

Having lived in Mexico for a year when much younger, I came to believe that all Americans would benefit by having exposure to the third world for a period of time while young. In this manner, we would more fully appreciate the wealth and opportunities we have in this country.

As for doing something about world hunger, I do not think we should be guilted into giving. But I do think it a normal part of being human to care, to in some manner want to make a difference if able.

The problem is, we are a bit jaded as well, because most of us have read stories about unscrupulous people who manipulate this good will in peoples' hearts in order to extract funds from their wallets. We live in an era of mailing lists where people who give to one organization end up getting requests from other organizations. Even when some organizations mean well at the start, there can be mismanagement resulting in squandered resources instead of the dollars being directed where they can do the most good.

For this reason, I have tried to help direct people to an organization that I trust because I knew the founders personally. They helped Susie and I when we were working at an orphanage in Mexico (1980-81), and in return I hope that my web page dedicated to their ministry has helped them in some small way over the years.
http://www.enewman.biz/bbking.html

Another organization that we believe in is Farms International. It is my hope to place a page on my personal website for them some day soon... but in the meantime, you may visit their site directly here: http://www.farmsinternational.com/

Despite the immensity of need in the world, some people whose whole lived are devoted to making a difference. They are the unsung heroes of our time. You can make a difference, too.

No comments:

Popular Posts